Shampoo bars have been trending in popularity in recent months and I just want to say a few words from my perspective on this topic. Right or wrong these are my own personal opinions and should be taken with a pinch of salt, as I am only a Soap Maker without a degree in Comedy. Bon appetit.
The need to scrap all plastic and go more sustainable has been the spark of most people’s conversations as we all try and make a difference to reduce our impact on the environment. The main area in our lives where we seem to gather the most amount of this single-use plastics are in the bathroom, in the form of our toiletries. The liquid shampoo has long been a godsend when it comes to looking after our hair, however, more recently and through allergen tests, a lot of people seem to realize that the liquid Shampoo contains a lot of extras/nasties that our hair and body’s don’t need and or react well to.
Believe it or not, in your average Shampoo bottle the main ingredient is water, which makes up 70% of the bottle and the remaining 30% should be the equivalent of a bar of soap/shampoo bar. However, some are unaware that the remaining 30% in those liquids can contain such ingredients as Sodium Lauryl Sulfate(SLS), Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate(ALS), Sodium Chloride(salt) and Formaldehyde. These ingredients can produce more foam and coat your hair in silicon like a layer to give the look of a healthy and shiny finish to your hair and scalp, however, this is not the case as these ingredients have been known and shown to cause irritation and in extreme cases hair loss.
Products that advertised as dandruff removers and hair growth improves are actually going the opposite for our skin, hair and general well being. Just like food, our bodies recognize the importance of natural ingredients and in skin care, it is of the utmost importance that we know exactly what goes on and into our skin. Take our Blue Shampoo bar, for example, it is made with 100% ethically sourced coconut oil and Orange and Grapefruit Essential oils. It’s as simple as that, the Coconut oil is ideal for moisturizing and conditioning your hair/scalp and all without the unnecessary nasties that leave your hair and scalp in a worse state than before you spent your hard earned cash.
Of course, if you want to stick with your liquid form of shampoo we have a hack for that too. Simply submerge your bar of Soap/Shampoo fully in a jar or bottle and leave for up to 7 days, stirring occasionally to ensure the mixture is correct and to your liking. Less water creates a thicker mixture and the opposite is true by increasing the water this will make your mixture more diluted.
It is also important to note that just like food, different oils are suited for different hair types, so if you have combination hair our Blue Shampoo is just what you need. On the other hand, many of our customers have used our head to toe bars and have found that they also work for their specific hair types. It is important to do your research and know what works for you.
So to cut this short, nobody wants to get in a tangle with their health so read those ingredients and avoid any hairy situations. Again I don’t have a degree in comedy… drops mic.. receives an invoice for mic… cries 😂.